FAQ Screen_Shot_2015-09-09_at_1.43.51_PM.png


No. The only time you can take a leave of absence without paying union dues is if you are deployed with a division of the military. If you are being deployed, please contact our office so that we may notify the International of your services and take the proper steps to reserve your spot with local 596.
The Massachusetts Laborers' Benefit Fund has a wealth of information on their website. You can also contact them by phone at (781) 272-1000.
Legal services are provided based on the fact that you have eligibility. If you are unsure, please contact the legal services office at (781) 273-3939 or visit their FAQ section at the Massachusetts Laborers' Benefit Funds website.
In order to receive your new union book, you must make a payment into the new calendar year. For example, if you are currently paid through December 31, 2014, you must pay for at least the month of January 2015 to receive your new union book. If you made a payment in 2014 that put you through to 2015 and you have not received your new union book, please call the union hall at 413-534-3140 and we will be happy to mail it to you.
The class schedule is available on the homepage of this website and is usually updated at the beginning of each month. You can also find the schedule by clicking here. If there is a class you are interested in taking, call local 596 at 413-534-3140 and we will be happy to set that up for you. You cannot register for classes on your own.
You have 60 days to make a payment from the month you are paid through before you are in jeopardy of being suspended. If suspended, a readmission fee will be applied.
If you are a journeyman, your dues rate is $40 per month. Retiree Dues Rate is $8 per month.
When applying for a loan, mortgage, etc., or when refinancing, you should list your current employer as the company that you are working for at the time of filling out paperwork and not Laborers' local 596. Due to the nature of construction jobs, members work for various contractors/companies for various amounts of time. You are a dues paying member of the local but not an employee. Local 596 does not pay you each week, the company you are working for pays you, making them your employer.
Please notify local 596 of any licenses or skills that you hold so that we can update your file. For example, if you have taken any classes that awarded you with a certificate or license, such as a 40-hr Asbestos course, you would notify local 596 of your newly acquired license.
It is your responsibility to come to Local 596 after you have been laid off and sign the Out of Work List. Make sure that you update your telephone number with us so that when work becomes available, you can be reached. It is not the steward or foreman's responsibility to put you back on the list when you have been laid off.
Contact the union hall as soon as possible so that your information can be updated in the computer and with the International Union.
The out of work list is a running list of members that are currently unemployed. As work becomes available, members are put back to work by their rank on the out of work list based on the type of job and capabilities.
You vest after you have earned five pension credits (five years), provided you have earned 1000 hrs. per year
You vest after completing 100 hours of covered employment during a calendar year.
The union meeting is held the last Tuesday of each month at 7:00 PM (unless otherwise noted) at Local 596 345 Northampton St Holyoke, Ma. Only local 596 members (active and retired) are welcome at the meeting.